The Cold Speculum, or "Turn Your Head and Cough"

Let's share our experiences with doctors in the DC area. Send any reviews to doctorsindc@gmail.com - Thanks! For a thorough resource check out http://www.washingtonian.com/health/topdocs/list.html (List compiled by fellow doctors, however, so lacks the patient perspective.) One more note: this site is hard to search right now. But you could try doing a Google Advanced search on the domain name if you're looking for a specific doctor or area.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

GP/Internist Alice L. Fuisz - Neutral Recommendation

There is a lot that I like about her- she is very professional, and was interested in talking to me about all areas of my health - the routine things, and do I get enough calcium, and excercise, etc. I know others who like her. My only reservation is that she is a bit cold and brusque, which makes me feel put in the spotlight as a specimen or in the doctor-patient relationship, (unlike Sedghi and others I've been to, who make me feel like a partner in getting me to good health). I think I'm biased against chilly yet professional and otherwise good doctors- my family has had some issues with neglectful doctors and so I feel automatically uncomfortable and on the defense when I visit them and it takes a different kind of doc to make me feel at ease. I would recommend her to anyone who appreciates a professional but distant doctor, but if you're like me and need someone warmer and more calming, then choose another.

1140 19th St., Suite 500 202-728-9630

(Noted by: Julie)

11 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not find her cold at all. She is virtually the only doctor I've found in this city willing to take time to talk to me and not throw me out the door within 5 minutes. The lab can be a bit frantic, though.

 
At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think she is fantastic. Spends all the time I require and is smart.

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently went to her office and was very impressed with her professional manner. Perhaps I am in the minority but I go to physicians for help not entertainment. She helped me immensely.

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been seeing Dr. Fuisz for almost two years. She's smart and very warm. Both my husband and I go to her. I would recommend her highly.

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work in the health care field and was totally impressed with Dr. Fuisz. I had seen several doctors in the DC area and had never come across such a thorough physician. Trust me in these days of speed medicine, it is a blessing to have someone sit down with you and go from A to Z with your medical history and treatment. I find Dr. fuisz to be very friendly and professional. I feel completely comfortable with her personality and skills.

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the original poster - and I agree with the gist of the other comments. This was posted when I was first seeing her. As I went to her more I felt much more comfortable with her and would change my recc from neutral to positive. I was not looking for "entertainment" as one person said - I have had a bad experience with doctors and do not feel comfortable easily, so it is important for me to feel relaxed and valued. She is a great doc and I'm glad she has so many satisfied patients.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think Dr. Fuisz is one of the, if not THE, best doctor I've ever been to. She spends far more time than the average with me as I'm sure she does with all her patients. I find that she also has a terrific sense of humor, an important ingrediant in my doctor/patient relationships. She no longer takes any insurance but I'm willing to pay for her care just because I think she is so exceptional

 
At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife and I have been seeing Dr. Fuisz for about 9 years. She is very friendly and takes time to explain medical issues. For the last 2 years, she no longer takes insurance but we never thought of looking for some other doctor. I travel quite a bit. She has given her cell number to call if I have some medical problems during my overseas trip. We strongly recommend Dr. Fuisz without any reservation.

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Dr Fuisz is the most capable doctor I've ever been to (and I've been to a few). She is very thorough and takes the time to really talk to her patients. I did not at all find her cold, even on my first visit. She is warm and caring, in my experience.

I like her so much that even though she stopped accepting my insurance I continue to see her. She is fantastic.

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to see Dr. Fuisz, on a colleague's recommendation, and have found her to be very efficient, straight-forward and very professional. She probably is not the most "flowery" person but who cares about that? I found her to be exceptionally competent and caring.

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Caroline Courbois said...

Are you looking for the BEST doctor or for a friend? Dr. Fuisz is BOTH! We have found her to be exceptionally competent, informed and highly regarded by her colleagues.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home