The Cold Speculum, or "Turn Your Head and Cough"

Let's share our experiences with doctors in the DC area. Send any reviews to doctorsindc@gmail.com - Thanks! For a thorough resource check out http://www.washingtonian.com/health/topdocs/list.html (List compiled by fellow doctors, however, so lacks the patient perspective.) One more note: this site is hard to search right now. But you could try doing a Google Advanced search on the domain name if you're looking for a specific doctor or area.

Monday, April 25, 2005

Dr. Fenton and Dr. Patel - Dupont Circle

Dr Patel and Dr Fenton at R and 19th are lovely men, who have always
been helpful and pleasant. The first is a shy, skinny, young Indian who
blushes if he's got to lift your shirt. Fenton is older, a crusty
Aussie. (I think the practice is under Fenton's name.)

I get extra prescriptions for migraine meds because they know I've got
an aunt overseas who needs the drugs; and I can get prescriptions over
the phone, any time, because they know me.

I know at least four or five other people who go to Patel & Fenton.
The docs are an odd couple, but good doctors. I've switched jobs and
insurance companies a number of times since I moved to DC in 1999, but
have been a patient of these guys all along.

NOTE: The front desk women there are bitches on wheels! But get past
them, and that doctor's office is perfect :)

(Recommended by: Kristina)

6 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those women should be fired. Also, if the Doctors were worth their salt, they wouldn't allow front desk people to treat patients like that.

The doctor's office is old, run down and filthy! I'm surprised they havent' been shut down.

 
At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, knowingly overprescribing so someone can give the drugs to someone else? That's pretty illegal and grounds for losing licenses, I'd think. If you really liked them, I wouldn't post that!

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually the front desk women have been there for YEARS!!! You have to be nice to them, or they won't be nice to you. But that's the key.. just be nice to them. I am nice to them, and polite, and those ladies let me walk in and get an appt every time. They are good people... Sue

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not recommend Dr. Patel. He speaks extraordinarily quickly and quietly, making it very difficult to hear him. Without prepping me for it (ie, the first time I came into his office), he did a blood draw for a fasting test, and then called and left me a VM telling me the numbers AND telling me I had a disease. However, the test was severely inaccurate due to the fact that, I was not even aware it would be done; it actually required fasting for 8 hours prior to the blood draw. As no one informed me to fast and my appointment was immediately after lunch, I (surprise, surprise) had eaten lunch, and the results of my test basically revealed that I had an uncontrolled disease.

Even though every other aspect of my chart suggested a lifestyle that is not at risk for the disease, he called me based on the numbers, and when I was on the phone with him, I told him (1) I wasn't aware that I had to fast and (2) the time of my appointment. He responded, "Oh. I don't have your chart in front of me."

While I think Dr. Patel is academically qualified, I do not believe that he generates a good rapport with his patients nor does he conduct good due diligence. I do not trust him and am finding another doctor.

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would not recommend Dr. Patel. He is very soft spoken and does not appear to have a lot of confidence. I thought the office was pretty old and gross looking, not to mention that the bathroom smelled. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure there was even a sink in the exam rooms. I think that is pretty standard, if not mandatory.

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found Patel to be smart but too rushed. For example, he recommended eye drops then didn't provide an Rx. A follow-up call went unreturned. The staff were unfriendly and there was also dried blood on the floor from a prior visit. I am looking for another Primary Care guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home